RN - Emergency Department (SANE)
Posted on: May 10, 2022
The position requires training as a Sexual Assault Nurse
Examiner (SANE). The SANE will be responsible for performing
interviews and physical examinations of sexual assault survivors.
Duties include interviewing patients, performing colposcopic
examinations, DNA collection and treatment of injuries and
potential diseases and pregnancies related to a sexual assault. The
SANE will have positive interactions with local police departments,
Rape Crisis Centers, Social Services, emergency physicians,
patients, families and significant others. Works in RN - ED role
when not clocked in under SANE cost center. Registered Nurse (RN)
is a professional caregiver who assumes responsibility for a group
of patients for a designated time frame and provides care to these
patients via the utilization of the nursing process, nursing
trends, technology, financial and human resources within the
philosophy of the institution.
- Provide objective forensic evaluation for victims of sexual
- Provide comprehensive and general professional nursing care
that assesses, evaluates, identifies and implements care to restore
and promote all aspects of health for the patient following sexual
- Maintain required continuing education requirements for
- Provide initial crisis intervention for victims of sexual
- Perform head to toe exam of sexual assault survivor.
- Collect Illinois State Police Evidence Collection Kit following
chain of evidence procedure.
- Treat patients according to medical protocol.
- Document objective and subjective findings from the sexual
- Adhere to scope and standards of Forensic Nursing practice and
Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner standards of practice.
- Attend a minimum of 80% of SANE staff meetings per year.
- Performs all responsibilities and duties required by unit as
specific to the scope of service. Implements procedures and
theories related to the specific area of practice. Maintains
up-to-date and accurate documentation of nursing care provided to
assure the integration of information for use by the healthcare
- Completes initial assessment upon patient admission and
develops appropriate plan of care in accordance with unit standards
and that is based on patient and family needs. Implements plan of
care, nursing interventions, and patient care procedures. Modifies
plan of care based upon continuous evaluation.
- Takes responsibility for patient and employee safety by
reporting and/or correcting safety hazards and incidents.
- Communicates with others directly and in private when necessary
to resolve issues. Offers constructive feedback to assist in the
professional development of peers, and confers with colleagues to
expand knowledge base. Identifies own learning needs and takes
initiative to begin appropriate solution.
- Fulfills all requirements of departmental competencies.
- Implements procedures and theories specific to ED nursing
- Performs patient assessment and develops care plan in
collaboration with providers, family and patient. Executes plan of
care and nursing interventions. Modifies care plan based on
- Is responsible for patient and staff safety through appropriate
nursing interventions, adhering to safety standards and
correcting/reporting safety hazards
- Effectively communicates/collaborates with staff, visitors and
families to promote a healthy and healing work environment
- Provides feedback to peers to aide in professional development,
increase knowledge base and problem solve
- Maintains accurate and up to date patient
Keywords: CARLE, Bloomington , RN - Emergency Department (SANE), Other , Bloomington, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!