Medical Lab Scientist/Tech Shift Coordinator MLS/MLT
Posted on: October 13, 2021
The Clinical Laboratory Shift Coordinator coordinates and
monitors the daily technical activities and staffing of personnel
in the assigned shift and assures compliance with all policies,
procedures, regulatory, and accreditation standards. Works in key
areas of all clinical laboratory sections as needed. Performs
highly complex and varied tasks requiring technical knowledge, its
application to a variety of situations, and exercise of independent
judgment. Embraces the Carle Experience by ensuring that all
aspects are consistently practiced among all staff. Promotes
employee engagement by helping to identify and implement employee
- Performs essential job functions of direct reports, in all
clinical lab sections, in order to meet testing needs of the
assigned shift. This may include on call and/or working variable
shifts as assigned to meet department needs.
- Coordinates the day to day activities of the designated shift
or section, including monitoring staff productivity and workload.
Meets productivity levels as established by department
- Responsible for collaborating with other leaders to
develop staff scheduling, ensuring appropriate staffing levels are
maintained as needed based on workload.
- Provides input to Manager regarding various personnel actions
including but not limited to hiring and retaining talent,
performance appraisals, disciplinary actions and promotions.
- Monitor the Kronos timecards for shift personnel, entering
exceptions and approving timecards as needed.
- Responsible for maintenance of equipment and workplace
environment, recognizing malfunctions in equipment and facilities
to report service needs in a timely manner.
- Establishes effective working relationships and maintain
effective communications with all customers. Evaluates and resolves
customer satisfaction issues in a timely manner. Create an
environment that promotes customer service excellence.
- Ensures the performance of the staff in assigned area(s) to
promote safe and effective operations.
- Conduct shift or section meetings at least monthly to ensure
information is communicated.
- Resolve problems independently and facilitate solutions; confer
with Manager and other Coordinators to resolve more complex
- Is able to identify appropriate resources during non-business
hours and utilize them as required in situations that are outside
the routine scope of practice.
- Collaborates with coordinators and Supervisors to enforce
standardized departmental policies, procedures, and protocols to
ensure quality care, efficiency, and compliance among all
- Provides oversight of technical staff to ensure QA/QC
procedures are followed.
- Assists with maintaining departmental and organizational
- Develops and retains talent by offering stretch assignments,
collaborating to create actionable development plans and
encouraging learning from setbacks in order to promote competence
- Collaborate with laboratory leaders to ensure the testing
schedule is optimized for patient care, staffing levels and fiscal
- Able to work in a fast-paced, high volume
- Performs testing in some or all of the following sections of
the clinical laboratory: Blood Bank, Hematology, Chemistry, and
Microbiology, including specimen processing. Manual and automated
equipment will be used to perform analytical tests including but
not limited to: Manual WBC and body fluid differentials, manual
body fluid cell counts, specimen dilutions, gram stains, molecular
assays, and antibody identification and titers.
- Notifies appropriate staff members of any calibration or
equipment failures which cannot be immediately resolved.
- Maintains laboratory supply inventory, notifying appropriate
laboratory staff when supplies are below established par
- Troubleshoots any values outside of acceptable ranges that
cannot be resolved by technical staff.
- Recognizes test result or instrument function problems that
require additional troubleshooting, performs troubleshooting as
Keywords: CARLE, Bloomington , Medical Lab Scientist/Tech Shift Coordinator MLS/MLT, Other , Downs, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!